Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Amniocentesis

Had my amniocentesis today! Phew, another milestone achieved. DH and midwife were there for me, which was greatly appreciated :-)

It started with a scan to determine the best pocket of fluid. Was good to see baby moving around, he's still there! Then they sprayed a very cold substance on the marked spot to numb my skin, and disinfected the skin. And then came the big needle - not half a meter long as I thought, but a very normal one.

The doc jammed the needle in my belly, which was fine, and then gave it another push, which was a bit ouch! He connected the vial to the needle and drew 4cm of fluid. The whole needle process took no more than 20 seconds I think. We got to see the fluid, which looked just like clouded pee!

And that was it. The technician did some more measurements of the baby and looked at the heart. Was good that our midwife had the chance to see baby too, as she usually has to rely on written reports.

Now I'm lying on the couch at home, have to take it easy today to avoid complications. Can't go to the gym today, according to the doc. That's good news, as I haven't been in a gym in the last 5 years :-)

The first results will come in on Friday or Monday, and the final results in 2 or 3 weeks time.

About baby's kicking habits: he had a very quiet weekend, which drove me nuts as I was more or less convinced he'd died, but he was back on Monday with a vengeance and has been kicking much harder since!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


1 comment: